Can you get a kebab stick through a balloon without popping it? Is it possible? Give it a try with this experiment guide.
• Wooden kebab sticks (thin ones are best)
• Balloons (the more expensive ones work best)
• Balloon inflators
- Blow a balloon up to 2/3rds inflated and tie the end in a knot
- Take a kebab stick and see if you can push it through the balloon without popping it.
- Did the balloon pop?
- Try it now by pushing the kebab stick through the knotted end of the balloon and then out through the darkest part of the balloon at the other side
- Did the balloon pop? It may take several attempts but you should get there!!
There is a lot of tension on the balloon at the sides so pushing anything through this area will pop the balloon. However the darker areas of the balloon are under a lot less tension and therefore it is possible to push a kebab stick through without popping the balloon.
Health and Safety
Be aware of the sharp points on the kebab sticks