Make your own lemonade with bubbles and enjoy a refreshing drink!
- 1 lemon
- Juicer (or fork if you don’t have one)
- Bicarbonate of Soda
- Glass or cup
- Juice the lemon and tip it into the glass. To get the most juice, roll the lemon on the side pressing gently on it for about 10 seconds, microwave the lemon for 10 seconds, then chop it in half to juice. If you don’t have a proper juicer then a use a fork instead.
- Add 1 teaspoon of Bicarbonate of Soda to the lemon juice and stir.
- Add water until you have between 2 and 3 times the volume of liquid
- Finally add a teaspoon of sugar (to taste)
- Once you’ve made the lemonade you can tweak the recipe to suit your own taste depending on how sweet, strong or fizzy you like it.
Lemons contain citric acid and are therefore acidic. Bicarbonate of soda is a base and reacts with the acid to make water and carbon dioxide (bubbles). This is what makes the lemonade fizzy and is the same gas you get in fizzy drinks you buy.