CREATE YOUR OWN MINI VOLCANO WITH A PLASTIC BOTTLE, A TRAY, SOME VINEGAR, FOOD COLOURING, WASHING UP LIQUID AND SOME BICARBONATE OF SODA!
- Conical flask (or empty 500ml pop bottle)
- Plastic Tray
- Red Food Colouring
- Washing up Liquid
- Bicarbonate of Soda
- This demonstration is messy and should be done on a tray
- All of the ingredients might be found in kitchen cupboards. Bicarbonate of soda can be used for making and also for cleaning
- Add a few drops of red food colouring to the conical flask
- Add a squirt of washing up liquid
- Add some bicarbonate of soda powder
- Add a small amount of warm water and swirl the flask to mix
- Slowly pour in the vinegar and watch the ‘volcano’ erupt!
A chemical reaction (in this case acid-base) takes place between the bicarbonate of soda and the vinegar. This produces carbon dioxide (one gas that is produced by volcanoes, even though ours isn’t a real one!). The washing up liquid makes the bubbles last better. The red food colouring add colour to the ‘lava’.