USING YEAST, SUGAR AND WATER, YOU CAN BLOW UP BALLOONS. (IT MIGHT TAKE A LITTLE LONGER THAN THE USUAL METHODS!)
- A packet of yeast
- A small, clean, clear, plastic pop bottle (16 oz. or smaller)
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- Some warm water
- A small balloon
- Fill the bottle up with about one inch of warm water.
- Add all of the yeast packet and gently swirl the bottle a few seconds.
- Add the sugar and swirl it around some more.
- Blow up the balloon a few times to stretch it out then place the neck of the balloon over the neck of the bottle.
- Let the bottle sit in a warm place for about 20 minutes
As yeast is a living organism and given the right conditions, it respires. As the yeast eats the sugar, it releases a gas called carbon dioxide. The gas fills the bottle and then fills the balloon as more gas is created.